2

 

A brief history of the school

HVS school photo old for siteOur school's history starts with an enterprising sailor, Captain W. Morgan, who settled in Heathcote. In 1860, he started to use a room in his home (Cwm House) as a school room.

In 1861, work started on the Heathcote Valley end of the Lyttelton tunnel, and with it came a significant increase in the local population. The resident's request for an adequate school for their children was granted and the first wooden classroom was opened in that same year. Shortly afterwards, a second wooden, prefabricated building was erected on the current site of our junior rooms, to help accommodate the growing number of children on the roll (150).

The oak tree, which is a special feature of the school, was planted in 1911.

The brick building containing Rooms 5 & 6 was built in 1965, while the current junior block was erected in 1975. Other classrooms were added in 1997 and 1999.
In 1998, the Resource Room and indoor swimming pool were built.
In 2001, both the hall and new administration block were commissioned.
In 2002, two more classrooms were added.
In 2008 the new library, teacher resource room, workrooms and an extra classroom were built.

The school celebrated its 150th jubilee in August 2010.

In 2011, the school was practically at the epi-centre of the February earthquake. GNS Science had earthquake measuring instruments in our hall, which measured a ground acceleration of 2.2 g (the highest ground acceleration recording ever in the world!). Unfortunately, the school was significantly damaged, however, no one was hurt. We lost the use of our boiler room, swimming pool, library, teacher resource room, numerous work rooms, and a classroom.
Two relocatable rooms have been placed on the site to temporarily replace the classroom and library.